OCA works with a number of communities and local groups to advocate for equitable changes to municipal zoning regulations and planning processes.
- We support local and regional efforts to improve planning and zoning through education and outreach by presenting to groups, conferences, organizations and coalitions.
- We also provide presentations on fair share planning and zoning with local and state groups.
- In limited circumstances, OCA is able to provide extensive long-term support to local efforts to advocate for changes to zoning regulations and pursue real affordable multifamily development.
In order to empower residents and community groups in pursuing changes within their own communities, we have gathered a number of critical resources that we use in our work with community groups.
Zoning & Planning Basics
- Zoning 101 - Start here for a basic understanding of zoning regulations, zoning terms, and common themes
- Zoning for Equity Vol. I & II - Continue learning about barriers created by zoning regulations
- Fair Share - Learn about the proposed fair share policy for Connecticut
- Town Documents - Learn about the planning and zoning documents that your community has, including zoning regulations, Plan of Conservation and Development, Affordable Housing Plan, and when community meetings are held
- News around 8-30g developments - Follow along with affordable housing developments in CT!
Demographic & Segregation Data
- Measures of Segregation
Housing and Demographic Data Resources
- Town Profiles from Partnership for Strong Communities town profiles
- Opportunity Map
- Mobility App - check rental housing voucher levels in your town
School Segregation Data & Research
- Separate & Unequal: The Interactive Effects of Housing and Education Policies on School Segregation in Connecticut, from CT Voices
- Racial Disparities in Connecticut Education Funding, from School + State Finance Project
- Segregation & Education, from School + State Finance Project
- EdSight: School District Profile and Performance Reports