Open Communities Alliance (OCA) is a Connecticut-based civil rights non-profit working to confront the state’s deep levels of residential segregation, which deprive low income families of color of access to opportunity and deepen the sharp income and race divisions in our society. Open Communities Alliance seeks to expand its enforcement staff and activities to combat exclusionary zoning and ensure housing choice for all families in Connecticut.
OCA seeks an individual deeply committed to social justice capable of working as part of a team to apply the principles of the Fair Housing Act to zoning and discrimination in Connecticut. The Staff Attorney will be responsible for monitoring affordable and multifamily housing zoning proposals across the state, including attending hearings, analyzing fair housing implications of denials, engaging in advocacy to relevant officials, and, where appropriate, pursuing enforcement activities including filing administrative complaints and/or developing and initiating litigation. The Staff Attorney will also conduct research and advocacy on the fair housing implications of municipal zoning regulations in regard to multi-family and affordable housing development, assist with the development of OCA’s new fair housing testing program, and participate in fair housing trainings as part of OCA’s outreach efforts. This is a full-time permanent position that includes a competitive benefits package. Salary, title, and responsibilities commensurate with experience. Salary range starts at $76,000.
The Staff Attorney will be responsible for:
- Solidifying relationships with project partners.
- Researching, monitoring and addressing potentially exclusionary zoning policies statewide.
- Investigating potential fair housing civil rights violations.
- Conducting outreach and education on fair housing and exclusionary zoning issues.
- When necessary, contributing to the litigation of exclusionary zoning cases and potentially other fair housing cases, typically with pro bono counsel.
Who we are looking for:
- Required experience: Five years of litigation experience, including experience litigating in federal court.
- The candidate must be licensed to practice law in Connecticut and admitted to the U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut or willing to apply.
- Preferred experience: 5+ years of litigation experience in the housing, land use or civil rights fields and experience negotiating complex or challenging disputes in litigation or pre-litigation settings.
- Competencies & attributes – Strategic thinker and creative problem solver; self-aware and curious; committed to diversity, equity and inclusion; ambitious and collaborative work ethic; detail oriented; ability to communicate with and build relationships across differences easily.
- Excited about and committed to Open Communities’ mission and social change more generally.
- The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated ability to work with experts, and/or experience with analyzing and deploying data in discrimination cases.
- Excellent legal research, writing, and oral argument skills.
- Command of Westlaw and Microsoft Office, specifically Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Position to begin ideally in June 2020. Small moving stipend available for moves from out of state. Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “OCA Staff Attorney” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis up through June 12, 2020.
If you are interested in volunteering, please explore our volunteer page.
Open Communities Alliance also hosts volunteer interns from undergraduate and graduate institutions and law schools. If you are interested, please visit our internship page.
Open Communities Alliance does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or any other basis protected from discrimination under applicable law. Open Communities Alliance is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action.